Are you shopping for the best stethoscope for nurses? Whether you’re still a nursing student or you’re already working as a nurse, it’s ideal to know and understand the many factors in helping you pick the right stethoscope for nurses or a nursing student .
The market is filled with different brands and models. Currently, there are two types of stethoscopes available. These are acoustic and electronic. The former is widely used and highly rated by doctors. This is because it’s more affordable than the latter. Electronic type, on the other hand, is still being used by some nurses but only those who can afford its price tag.
When shopping for the best stethoscope for nurses, it’s best to pick up the model with good sound quality. In this way, you’ll be able to properly measure BP and listen to body sounds of patients.
Another thing to consider is the weight of the model. You don’t want some heavy thing hanging around your shoulder while working, do you?
The stethoscope must also include comfortable earpiece. In this way, it won’t fall off when you’re listening to the body sounds of your patient.
A nursing student doesn’t have to pick the most expensive model on the market. Licensed nurses, on the other hand, must get a specialized model that’s recommended by their department.
Top 4 Best Stethoscope For Nurses In The 2017 Market
To help you out, here’s our list of the best stethoscopes for nurses.
#1. 3M Littman Classic II S.E. Stethoscope
It comes in multiple colors. You can opt for black, orange, pink, purple, burgundy, and Caribbean blue, among others. But this isn’t only ideal for nurses. This is also great for those who are working in the healthcare industry. They’ve come to rely on this model for its high acoustic quality, as well as compact design.
Here are the pros of choosing this model:
- Enhances sound quality. This is thanks to its patented tunable diaphragm that lets you listen to low-frequency sounds. The tunable diaphragm has greater surface area that improves sound quality.
- Listens to body sounds optimally. Its headset is designed to perfectly fit into the ear canal. In this way, it won’t fall of while using it.
- Comes with latex-free materials. This is especially great for users with allergies. Bear in mind that latex can cause allergic reaction to the skin and may affect how you listen to the body sounds because of the discomfort it brings.
- Provides comfort during exams. It has non-chill rim and diaphragm so your patients will remain comfortable while you’re examining them.
- Some of its users complained of hurting their ears each time they use it.
#2. 3M Littman Lightweight II S.E
Just like the Classic, Lightweight II S.E. is available in a variety of colors, such as lilac, green and blue. It also comes with a non-chill diaphragm for patient’s comfort. This is ideal for nurses who are just starting to work. Seasoned nurses can also take advantage of its benefits.
The price is cheaper than the Classic II. Thus, it’s great for those who are still starting out in the nursing department.
Let’s take a look at some of its pros:
- Comes with teardrop-shaped chest piece. It makes it easier for you to position it around the cuffs of sphygmomanometer when getting the blood pressure of your patient.
- Has a cheap price. This is one of the attractive factors of this scope. You don’t have to break the bank just to have a personal stethoscope. But this doesn’t mean it lacks the features that you need to accomplish your task.
- No turning over of chest piece. With its tunable diaphragm, you can easily listen to low and high-frequency sounds without having to turn the chest piece over.
- It’s a general stethoscope. You can’t use it in the pediatric department.
#3. Omron Sprague Rappaport
Just because you need a stethoscope, doesn’t mean you need to spend more than $100. With this model, you’ll only need to spare less than $12 to get one. Yes, that’s how affordable this model is.
Even though it’s one of the cheapest scopes on the market, it can still provide you the quality that you need for your nursing tasks.
Here are some of the advantages of opting for this model:
- Includes two diaphragms: small and large. The former is used for children and the latter is for adults. Thus, you don’t need another scope when you’ll be assigned to the pediatric department.
- Is made of latex free materials. It’s one of the best features of this model. You don’t have to worry about having allergic reactions to latex.
- Comes in multiple sizes. We’re referring to its tubing lengths as they come in various sizes. In this way, you can choose which one is great for a certain patient and the other one for another patient.
- The two tubes generate confusion because of the sound artifacts they produced. But, as soon as you get the hang of it, you’ll be able to adjust.
- Other customers also complained of the ear tips not being comfortable. They said that they created little pain when they put them in their ears.
#4. Primacare DS-9290-BK Classic
If you really wanted extremely cheap stethoscope, then this model is your best bet. On Amazon, it sells at $6.50. The price may go down further during holiday season. So, better watch out for that.
For the majority of its users, this model is considered as an excellent piece of scope without having to spend more. It may only allow you to perform basic tasks, like listening to heart and lung sounds; it still offers high-quality sounds. Of course, don’t expect its acoustic rating to outperform that of expensive models. Still, the quality is high enough that lets you hear body sounds clearly.
- Cheap. It’s one of the cheapest stethoscopes. But the price doesn’t mean it lacks quality. This means you’re not paying for the brand, rather with the quality it brings.
- With thicker tubes. They can help in preventing picking up of surrounding noises and losing signal. They also prevent distortion when you use this scope for a long time.
- Takes less time to assemble.
- It lacks proper instructions on how to hear better sounds with this device.
- It can only be used for basic auscultation tasks. You can’t use it during critical events. This is also not ideal for cardiology.
Having the best stethoscope for nurses is necessary so you’ll be able to hear body sounds accurately. As a nurse, you’ll be assigned to different departments, unless you’re specializing on one area.
Most of the time, nurses pick a general diagnostic stethoscope. This allows them to use it in different areas. For those who are working in emergency situations, the best scope should have adult and pediatric functionalities.
All of the stethoscopes we’ve discussed above have been evaluated for their sound sensitivity. Each of them offered excellent sound quality, based on reviews from actual users. Although not all of them have tunable diaphragm, they’re still a good choice in hearing high and low-frequency sounds.
The models listed above are efficient units that can accommodate your height, arm length and your range of motion. They also have ear pieces that fit perfectly. They’re made of materials that can fit snugly.
When picking the best one for yourself, you may need to try different scopes before you can find that one good fit. With the help of this guide, however, you can save time in finding the right scope.
Regardless of how great a scope is, it’s still ideal to improve your skills in listening to body sounds. Bear in mind that a stethoscope is only a device that will assist you in performing your tasks. But, with a good scope, you can easily hone your skills in properly hearing body sounds.